Thursday 21 November 2013

Dear Pain...a daily survivor of the struggle against my own body and mind

I tweeted this at half six this morning:
Dear pain, while you may be my constant companion, I would like it if you let me have a chance to have a life. That is all.

I don't usually go around telling complete strangers that I am anything but awesome!  I just feel that, since I am certainly not the only one, it is time to say something about it.  I am in constant pain each and every moment-whether I move or keep still has no bearing on it. The everyday pain I am now used to and go about doing things just as others go about their day.  It is when the pain becomes so terrible that you can barely move and it feels as if your back and shoulders are on fire-that is when it stops me in my tracks and interferes with my life.  I don't look ill.  There is no cure for this and very little understanding from the world in general which makes the suffering something that is usually done in silence as nobody gets it and complaining just makes you unwanted.  For anyone who would like an idea of what it is like to live each day with an invisible illness-the spoon theory is an excellent analogy that attempts to make it a bit easier to understand.  While written by a woman with lupus, it is applicable to other conditions, particularly to fibromyalgia.
My increased pain exacerbates my depression. Depression lowers your pain threshold, thereby making my pain seem worse.  Vicious circle anyone?

Today it took me two hours and codeine to be able to get out of bed.  I am supposed to be on my stall on the market attempting to earn some money and make a living.  The pain took that away from me.  I will instead list items in my online store and would very much appreciate it if you could perhaps spam my website address all over the place :)
www.craftyshutterbug.co.uk

On the plus side, I have found my camera!  So I will be able to add pictures to my post from yesterday-and perhaps post again later if I manage to make anything new.

If you read just one thing today, please take the time to make it the spoon theory.  Thank you for stopping by.  Happy crafting ;) x

No comments:

Post a Comment